I have always loved the log cabin pattern, in fact, I learned how to quilt with this pattern (with the exception of a basic square pattern). The block in very versitile and can be laid out to create many different effects. I am sure that there are many great tutorials on how to put together a log cabin block, but if anyone is interested, I'll put together a quick tutorial and post it here.
Back to the quilt at hand... My mom picked these fabrics out at Hobby Lobby and combined them with a few that she had in her awesome stash. We're excited to see how this quilt comes together. I'm planning to rotate the colors, currently I've got it going from light to dark and I'll slowly alternate the colors through the blocks so that it will go from dark to light. To help keep it consistent, we'll keep the polka-dot fabric in the center and we've got a cool blue and brown striped fabric for the borders. The strips are 2" wide, and measure roughly 1.5" once sewn, so all together this block measures 15" square. We're thinking of doing a lap-sized quilt of 3x3 blocks or 3x4 blocks.
It's a good thing I love to piece and my mom loves to hand-quilt. We compliment each other very nicely.
2 comments:
Really looks beautiful, Kate. Great choices in the placement of strips. Looking forward to quilting it--I may try doing the heavier thread in blue or tan and 1/4 inch utility stitching. Excited to practice my quilting again--its been too long! love you!
Cute quilt Kate! You are amazing. Love ya!
Post a Comment